Lyme Regis Museum stands in the heart of the town, just where the beautiful coastlines of Dorset and Devon meet on the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site.
About the Building
The building has great idiosyncratic charm. Built in 1901, it was commissioned by Thomas Philpot, a relative of the Philpot sisters who had worked with Mary Anning. The architect was George Vialls, who also designed the Town Hall next door.
Following a chequered history, by 1991 the building was badly in need of repair. Largely thanks to a team of committed volunteers, a major refurbishment of the building and displays was carried out in the late 1990s.
You can read more about the History of the Museum here.
Running the Museum
From the beginning, the Museum has been run almost entirely by volunteers, a tradition we still cherish today although we now have paid Director, Manager, Learning and Outreach Officer and part time Geologist. The museum is fully Accredited with the Museums Libraries and Archives Council.
The museum is packed with interesting and quirky displays. Our collections are unusually rich for a small museum and we have a lot of good stories to tell. Lyme’s lively local history is well represented by maritime and domestic objects, and illustrated by paintings, prints and photographs. The area is noted for its fossils, displayed in our geological galleries, and the town's literary connections, from Jane Austen to John Fowles, are illustrated in the Writers Gallery.
Sir Ghillean Prance FRS, Sir Crispin Tickell GCMG KCVO, Sir Neil Chalmers and Sir David Wilson FBA