Museum Assistant (Visitor Services)
Museum Assistant (Visitor Services)
Temporary fixed term contract, six months.
Full time (37.5 hours per week, including weekend working).
£17,200 per annum (pro rata)
Front of House Volunteers and Cleaner
Director, Museum Geologist, Learning Officer, Volunteers, Trustees.
PURPOSE OF ROLE:
To assist with the delivery of the Mary Anning Wing Development project and to supervise the front of house operation of the museum, welcome visitors and maximise income generation.
1. Assisting with the delivery of the Mary Anning Wing Development Project by:
- Assisting with the administration of the Mary Anning Wing activity programme, including co-ordinating and setting up events, responding to enquiries and maintaining records.
- Assisting with the preparations for re-opening of the museum, including cleaning displays, packing and moving objects and maintaining documentation records.
- Assisting the Museum Marketing Officer with the promotion of the museum, including updating the museum website, distributing museum leaflets and posters, and updating social media.
- To assist with the setting up of the new museum shop, operating the museums EPOS system, checking deliveries and helping to set up the shop prior to the museum re-opening.
2. Welcoming Visitors and Maximise Income Generation
- To supervise the front-of-house operation of the museum and welcome visitors.
- To process admission and shop sales, to accurately operate the electronic till and cash up at the end of the day.
- To supervise and work closely with front-of-house volunteers, providing guidance and support to ensure a warm welcome to all visitors.
- To have a good knowledge of and provide information about the museum displays and services to our visitors.
- To monitor the museum’s popular commercial Fossil Walk sales and to update availability on the museum website as and when required.
- To assist with group visits, setting up the activity space and welcoming groups on arrival.
- To ensure good housekeeping throughout the museum, including the reception and shop areas, making sure that shelves are well stocked, leaflets displayed, shop merchandise and museum displays are clean, dusted and attractive.
- To assist with maintaining accurate sales information by updating the entering information in the museum’s EPOS (Electronic Point of Sale) database, updating product prices and adding and updating stock records as required.
- To ensure adequate levels of shop stock on display, re-merchandising and ordering stock as and when required.
- To develop and maintain good working relationships with your colleagues.
3. Site Management and Security
- To be the main key holder on site, responsible for opening and closing the museum and its safe operation throughout the day. This includes supervising volunteers, welcoming visitors and ensuring tills, phones, IT and security systems are operating properly.
- To ensure that the site and the museum is clean, safe and secure and fully compliant with all Health and Safety requirements. To resolve any Health and Safety issues quickly and efficiently and to raise any serious concerns with the Operations Manager or the Director immediately.
- To understand and be responsible for the safe operation of the fire and security alarm system.
- To answer enquiries whether in person, by phone or by email, to check and respond to messages left on the phone system and on the museum’s “walks” and “info” enquiry email addresses.
- To assist with the promotion of the museum, including maintaining and updating the museum website, distributing museum leaflets and posters, assisting with the museum e-newsletter and updating social media.
To undertake any other tasks or duties reasonably required by the Lyme Regis Museum Trust.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- Experience of working successfully in a customer facing role
- Experience of using IT systems, including Word, Excel, Outlook (or similar) email, and EPOS databases
- Financial management experience to include cash handling, cashing up, and maintaining accurate financial records
- Experience in stock management and ordering
- Adaptable, with good interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- Good team working skills as well as being able to work independently
- Able to build and sustain good working relationships
- Ability to communicate effectively, in person, on the telephone and in writing.
- Accurate with good attention to detail
- Experience of working in a customer facing role in a museum, visitor attraction, retail, leisure, or hotel environment
- Ability to organise own workload effectively, prioritising tasks and working to deadlines
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- Good problem solving skills
- Marketing experience, in particular in the areas of social media and website management
- People management and supervision
- Experience of operating security and fire alarm systems within a public building
The closing date is 28th April and interviews are 4th May. Please contact David Tucker at firstname.lastname@example.org