Get Fossilling on the Jurassic Coast! Come and join in with one of our famous Fossil Walks along this historic stretch of Dorset coast with Lyme Regis Museum Geologist Paddy Howe and Marine Biologist Chris Andrew.
Prices and Booking
Your fossil walk ticket gives you FREE access to the museum where you will be able to see displays of rare fossils, learn all about Mary Anning, the famous early palaeontologist who once lived on the site of the museum and much, much more.
Cost: £11 adults, children and students £6.
Times for the walks vary according to the tides.
Full payment is needed at time of booking so please have your card details ready when you phone 01297 443370
Alternatively, UK residents may send a cheque for the full amount made payable to 'Lyme Regis Museum' to arrive at least 48 hours before the day of the walk. It is, of course, possible to make bookings in person at the Museum.
No refunds will be possible for bookings cancelled less than 48 hours before the day of the walk.
If, for any reason, the walk has to be cancelled by us then full refunds will be given.
Some families return time and again to search with Paddy and Chris among the sand and rocks for fossils that have been washed-down onto the beach after 150 million years. For adults and children alike, it’s an unforgettable experience. Click on Fossil Findsto see some of the fossils found on previous walks.
Each walk is limited to 15 people per guide and you need to allow up to three hours. Walks can fill up quickly on the day so please call us and book a place before travelling any great distance.
There is a useful smart-phone app from Maprika which lets you view WD Lang's Geological Maps of Lyme whilst on the beach. Lang was an early Curator of Lyme Regis Museum. Click here to learn about the app.
Current Fossil Walks Timetable
- Friday 1st 1.30pm FULLY BOOKED
- Saturday 2nd 2.00pm FULLY BOOKED
- Saturday 9th 9.00am FULLY BOOKED
- Sunday 10th 10.00am FULLY BOOKED
- Monday 11th 11.00am FULLY BOOKED
- Tuesday 12th 11.45am FULLY BOOKED
- Wednesday 13th 12.30pm FULLY BOOKED
- Thursday 14th 1.15pm FULLY BOOKED
- Friday 15th 1.45pm FULLY BOOKED
- Saturday 16th 2.30pm FULLY BOOKED
- Saturday 23rd 9.15am FULLY BOOKED
- Sunday 24th 10.00am FULLY BOOKED
- Monday 25th 10.30am FULLY BOOKED
- Tuesday 26th 11.15am FULLY BOOKED
- Wednesday 27th 11.45am FULLY BOOKED
- Thursday 28th 12.15pm FULLY BOOKED
- Friday 29th 12.45pm FULLY BOOKED
- Saturday 30th 1.15pm FULLY BOOKED
- Sunday 31st 1.45pm FULLY BOOKED
- Sunday 7th 9.00am
- Monday 8th 9.45am
- Tuesday 9th 10.45am
- Wednesday 10th 11.30am
- Thursday 11th 12.15pm
- Friday 12th 12.45pm
- Saturday 13th 1.30pm
- Sunday 21st 9.00am
- Monday 22nd 9.30am
- Tuesday 23rd 10.00am
- Wednesday 24th 10.45am
- Thursday 25th 11.15am
- Friday 26th 11.45am
- Saturday 27th 12.15pm
- Sunday 28th 12.45pm
- Monday 29th 1.15pm
- Tuesday 30th 2.00pm
- Monday 6th 9.00am
- Tuesday 7th 9.30am
- Wednesday 8th 10.30am
- Thursday 9th 11.15am FULLY BOOKED
- Friday 10th 11.45am
- Saturday 11th 12.30pm
- Sunday 12th 1.00pm
- Monday 13th 1.30pm
- Tuesday 21st 9.00am
- Wednesday 22nd 9.30am
- Thursday 23rd 10.15am
- Friday 24th 10.45am
- Saturday 25th 11.30am
- Sunday 26th 11.00am
- Monday 27th 11.30am
- Tuesday 28th 12.15pm
- Wednesday 29th 12.45pm
- Thursday 6th 9.00am
- Friday 7th 9.45am
- Saturday 8th 10.30am
- Sunday 9th 11.00am
- Monday 10th 11.45am
- Tuesday 11th 12.15pm
- Wednesday 12th 12.45pm FULLY BOOKED
- Friday 21st 9.00am
- Saturday 22nd 9.15am
- Sunday 23rd 10.00am
- Monday 24th 10.45am
- Tuesday 25th 11.30am
- Wednesday 26th 12 noon
- Thursday 27th 12.45pm
- Friday 5th 9.00am
- Saturday 6th 9.30am
- Sunday 7th 10.15am
- Monday 8th 10.45am
- Tuesday 9th 11.30am
- Wednesday 10th 12 noon
- Thursday 11th 12.30pm
- Friday 12th 1.00pm
- Sunday 21st 9.00am
- Monday 22nd 9.45am
- Tuesday 23rd 10.30am
- It’s sometimes possible to book a special fossil walk for just your family or group.
- Please contact us if you would like to find out more about this.
- We can provide special fossil walk vouchers, which make a unique gift.
School and Student Groups
We have two experienced walk leaders (Paddy and Chris) and will take up to 30 fossil hunters on a walk provided both are available.
We always try to keep our visitor/guide ratio below 15:1 so everyone on the walks will get a high level of input on what to look for and what they have found.
Fossil Walk Tips
- Walks leave promptly from outside the museum. Please arrive 10 minutes before departure time.
- The walk is over uneven ground on the beach to the East of Lyme.
- You’ll need to be reasonably agile and steady on your feet and should wear walking books or wellies and suitable clothing and headgear for the weather. We advise bringing a rucksack so you can collect fossil and remain hands-free. Bring a drink and snack. If you are bringing children under 8, we advise that they should have a particular interest in fossils and a good attention span!
Please note that walks always go ahead, whatever the weather, unless it is unsafe to do so.