Get Fossilling on the Jurassic Coast! Come and join in with one of our famous Fossil Walks along this historic stretch of Dorset coast with Lyme Regis Museum Geologist Paddy Howe and Marine Biologist Chris Andrew.
Prices and Booking
Your fossil walk ticket gives you FREE access to the museum where you will be able to see displays of rare fossils, learn all about Mary Anning, the famous early palaeontologist who once lived on the site of the museum and much, much more.
Cost: £10 adults, children and students £5.
Times for the walks vary according to the tides.
Please contact us on
if you are planning a trip to Lyme and would like to know about availability on our walks.
Full payment is needed at time of booking so please have your card details ready when you phone 01297 443370
Alternatively, UK residents may send a cheque for the full amount made payable to 'Lyme Regis Museum' to arrive at least 48 hours before the day of the walk. It is, of course, possible to make bookings in person at the Museum.
No refunds will be possible for bookings cancelled less than 48 hours before the day of the walk.
If, for any reason, the walk has to be cancelled by us then full refunds will be given.
Some families return time and again to search with Paddy and Chris among the sand and rocks for fossils that have been washed-down onto the beach after 150 million years. For adults and children alike, it’s an unforgettable experience. Click on Fossil Finds to see some of the fossils found on previous walks.
Each walk is limited to 15 people per guide and you need to allow a minimum of two hours. Walks can fill up quickly on the day so please call us and book a place before travelling any great distance.
There is a useful smart-phone app from Maprika which lets you view WD Lang's Geological Maps of Lyme whilst on the beach. Lang was an early Curator of Lyme Regis Museum. Click here to learn about the app.
Current Fossil Walks Timetable
- Tuesday 7th May 9am
- Wednesday 8th May 9.15am - fully booked
- Thursday 9th May 10am
- Friday 10th May 10.45am - fully booked
- Saturday 11th May 11.15am
- Sunday 12th May 11.45am
- Monday 13th May 12.15pm - fully booked
- Tuesday 14th May 12.45pm
- Thursday 23rd May 9am
- Friday 24th May 9.30am - fully booked
- Saturday 25th May 10.30am - fully booked
- Sunday 26th May 11.15am - fully booked
- Monday 27th May 12 noon - fully booked
- Tuesday 28th May 12.45pm- fully booked
- Thursday 6th June 9am
- Friday 7th June 9.30am
- Saturday 8th June 10.15am
- Sunday 9th June 10.45am
- Monday 10th June 11.15am- fully booked
- Tuesday 11th June 11.45am
- Wednesday 12th June 12.15pm
- Thursday 13th June 1pm
- Saturday 22nd June 9am
- Sunday 23rd June 10am
- Monday 24th June 11am
- Tuesday 25th June 11.45am
- Wednesday 26th June 12.30pm
- Thursday 27th June 1.15pm
- Saturday 6th July 9am
- Sunday 7th July 9.45am
- Monday 8th July 10.30am
- Tuesday 9th July 11am
- Wednesday 10th July 11.30am
- Thursday 11th July 12.15pm
- Friday 12th July 12.45pm
- Saturday 13th July 1.15pm
- Sunday 21st July 9am
- Monday 22nd July 9.45am
- Tuesday 23rd July 10.45am
- Wednesday 24th July 11.30am
- Thursday 25th July 12.15pm
- Friday 26th July 1pm
- Saturday 27th July 1.30pm
- Sunday 4th August 9am
- Monday 5th August 9.30am
- Tuesday 6th August 10am
- Wednesday 7th August 10.45am
- Thursday 8th August 11.15am
- Friday 9th August 12 noon
- Saturday 10th August 12.30pm
- Sunday 11th August 1pm
- Monday 19th August 9am
- Tuesday 20th August 9.45am
- Wednesday 21st August 10.30am
- Thursday 22nd August 11.15am
- Friday 23rd August 12 noon
- Saturday 24th August 12.30pm
- Sunday 25th August 1.15pm
- Tuesday 3rd September 9am
- Wednesday 4th September 9.30am
- Thursday 5th September 10.15am
- Friday 6th September 11am
- Saturday 7th September 11.30am
- Sunday 8th September 12 noon
- Monday 9th September 12.45pm
- Tuesday 10th September 1.15pm
- Wednesday 18th September 9.15am
- Thursday 19th September 10.15am
- Friday 20th September 11am
- Saturday 21st September 11.30am
- Sunday 22nd September 12.15pm- fully booked
- Monday 23rd September 12.45pm
- Tuesday 24th September 1.15pm
- Thursday 3rd October 9am
- Friday 4th October 9.45am
- Saturday 5th October 10.30am
- Sunday 6th October 11.15am
- Monday 7th October 11.45am
- Tuesday 8th October 12.30pm
- Wednesday 9th October 1pm
- Thursday 17th October 9am
- Friday 18th October 9.45am
- Saturday 19th October 10.30am
- Sunday 20th October 11.15am
- Monday 21st October 11.45am
- Tuesday 22nd October 12.15pm
- Wednesday 23rd October 12.45pm
- Sunday 3rd November 9am
- Monday 4th November 9.45am
- Tuesday 5th November 10.30am
- Wednesday 6th November 11.15am
- Thursday 7th November 12 noon
- Friday 8th November 12.30pm
- Sunday 17th November 9am
- Monday 18th November 9.45am
- Tuesday 19th November 10.15am
- Wednesday 20th November 10.45am
- Thursday 21st November 11.15am
- Friday 22nd November 11.45am
- Saturday 23rd November 12.15pm
- Sunday 24th November 1pm
- Monday 2nd December 9am
- Tuesday 3rd December 9.30am
- Wednesday 4th December 10.15am
- Thursday 5th December 11am
- Friday 6th December 11.45am
- Saturday 7th December 12.30pm
- Sunday 8th December 1.15pm
- Monday 16th December 9am
- Tuesday 17th December 9.30am
- Wednesday 18th December 10am
- Thursday 19th December 10.30am
- Friday 20th December 11am
- Saturday 21st December 11.30am
- Sunday 22nd December 12 noon
- Monday 23rd December 12.30pm
- It’s sometimes possible to book a special fossil walk for just your family or group.
- Please contact us if you would like to find out more about this.
- We can provide special fossil walk vouchers, which make a unique gift.
School and Student Groups
We now offer fossil walks for school and student groups. Please contact us for more details by emailing us at:
or by ringing us on: 01297 443370. Alternatively our full contact details are available on our contact page. Download the Fossil Walk Risk Assessment (PDF, 87KB)
We have two experienced walk leaders (Paddy and Chris) and will take up to 30 fossil hunters on a walk provided both are available.
We always try to keep our visitor/guide ratio below 15:1 so everyone on the walks will get a high level of input on what to look for and what they have found.
Fossil Walk Tips
- Walks leave promptly from outside the museum. Please arrive 10 minutes before departure time.
- The walk is over uneven ground on the beach to the East of Lyme.
- You’ll need to be reasonably agile and steady on your feet and should wear walking books or wellies and suitable clothing and headgear for the weather. We advise bringing a rucksack so you can collect fossil and remain hands-free. Bring a drink and snack. If you are bringing children under 8, we advise that they should have a particular interest in fossils and a good attention span!
Please note that walks always go ahead, whatever the weather, unless it is unsafe to do so.
Further information on walks, talks and exhibitions at Lyme Regis Museum: