Job Vacancy


Celebrate 100 years with us!


Archive for the ‘Research’ Category

Henry De La Beche

Henry De la Beche and the Enslavement of Black People

Posted on: 3rd July 2020

Henry De la Beche, first Director of the Geological Survey of Great Britain, President of the Geological Society of London and friend of Mary Anning inherited a sugar plantation in Jamaica and became the owner of over 200 enslaved black people. Our article tells this story. Black Lives Matter.  

An early American connection for Lyme

An early American connection for Lyme

Posted on: 25th August 2014

Mr Stephen Massil has contacted us with some new information about Lyme and a question. He has been researching the family of Henry Franks Waring who was Lyme Regis Town Clerk in the 19th Century. Although it was known that Waring was of Jewish descent (see Ethnic Minorities: Lyme Regis & West Dorset, Past &… READ MORE

NEWLY ADDED: Cyril Wanklyn, Historian of Lyme

NEWLY ADDED: Cyril Wanklyn, Historian of Lyme

Posted on: 25th November 2013

Slightly out of order, but the third instalment in the “People of Lyme” series is now available on the Research page. This one concerns Cyril Wanklyn (1864 – 1943), who shared the honorary curatorship of Lyme Regis Museum with Dr Vitruvius Wyatt Wingrave between 1927 and 1940. Wanklyn’s magnum opus was his history of the… READ MORE

NEWLY ADDED: William Porter (1819-94)

NEWLY ADDED: William Porter (1819-94)

Posted on: 24th November 2013

The latest research paper in the People of Lyme series has just been added to the Research section of the website – No.4: William Porter (1819-94). Porter was born and brought up in Lyme Regis, and lived here all his life. Working first in the coastguard service and as a fisherman, by 1851 he had… READ MORE

The Great Fires of Lyme Regis

The Great Fires of Lyme Regis

Posted on: 14th June 2013

One of the most striking objects to be seen inside Lyme Regis Museum is the 18th century hand-powered fire engine, which has been a treasured exhibit ever since the Museum opened in 1921. Sadly, the fire engine never had much success in putting out fires, as can be seen from this photograph taken after its… READ MORE