Looking for a truly inspirational school trip?
We can offer you a uniquely authentic experience in the place Mary Anning called home.
- Fossil Walks
- Mary Anning & Jurassic Fossil workshops
- Rockpooling sessions
Why choose us?
We work hard to ensure your school trip with us is second-to-none, and offer you
- A great price from £3.75 to £4.25 per child and all accompanying adults FREE
- An authentic, well-organised and enriching learning experience that can be tailored to your needs
- Links to the National Curriculum, FREE classroom learning boxes and access to great images
- Walks on the beaches where Mary Anning herself hunted for fossils, with an option to visit her grave
- Sessions led by Chris Andrew (PGCE), museum Learning Officer, scientist and fossil hunter and a team of inspirational guides – the Mary Anning experts!
- A new, secure, purpose-built classroom with space for lunch and storage
- New accessible facilities and a lift to the first floor
- Safe, secure coach parking with toilet facilities at both Holmbush and Charmouth Rd car parks, a short walk to the museum and beaches
- Reassurance – 2,000+ children visit each year and teachers give us great feedback
- Downloadable Risk Assessment forms
- Help with co-ordinating and planning your visit
What teachers and children say about us
“The best trip I have taken a group on” – teacher, Yeoford Primary School
“That was awesome!” – student, Exeter College
The sessions and how to book
Join Chris Andrew and explore the beaches around Lyme Regis where Mary Anning went fossil hunting. This session covers how fossils form and the geology of the Jurassic Coast, as well as Mary’s life and the amazing creatures she discovered. Pupils will also find fossils on the beach to take back to school.
Fossil walks are tide dependant, so start times vary. See the planned dates and times for walks to help plan your visit.
Duration 2 ½ hrs
Numbers 70 children. Large groups require extra guides and will be split into two groups.
Cost £4.25 per pupil (minimum £75 for groups of less than 18) Staff and Supervising Adults FREE
“That was awesome! Cool! I loved the bit on the beach as I knew more than when I went before.Can we do it again?!” Exeter College students 2017.
“Please can we offer a very big thank you to Chris Andrew for his wonderful illustrated talk and fossil beach tour on Thursday. We all thoroughly enjoyed the day and we all learnt a lot. Inspiring!” Staff Exeter College 2017.
Mary Anning & Jurassic Fossils Workshops
Learn about Mary Anning, her remarkable life and the amazing fossils she found right here in Lyme Regis.
Lyme Regis museum stands on the site of Mary’s first home and fossil shop, so the class will see the square where she lived and the beaches where she collected fossils, including the cliffs where she found her first Ichthyosaur. This session takes place in the new Fine Foundation classroom and includes a guided tour of our Geology Gallery to see the museum’s fossil collection, including fossils found by Mary Anning and her contemporaries.
Discover Ammonites, Ichthyosaurs, Plesiosaurs and many other creatures that were living in the Jurassic seas around Lyme Regis 200 million years ago. Find out how fossils form, and why we find so many in the rocks and clay around Lyme Regis, as well as discovering how these creatures evolved and interacted.
Pupils will have the opportunity to handle real fossils and models, and these sessions can be tailored to your group’s requirements.
Duration: 2 hrs
Numbers: 32 children maximum
Cost: £3.75 per pupil (Staff and Supervising Adults FREE)
Your class will learn more about marine life and the amazing creatures that live in the rock pools of Broad Ledge. Lyme Regis is a special place for rockpooling and our experienced guide will meet your class at the museum and take you out on to the beach at low tide to explore the rock pools. Pupils will take part in a range of activities including; identifying and naming animals and plants, as well as gathering, recording and classifying data.
Please note, rockpooling activities are dependent on low tides, so days and start times vary.
Duration 2 ½ hrs
Numbers 32 Maximum
Cost £4.25 per pupil (Staff and Supervising Adults FREE).
“I really wanted to thank you for your wonderful talk and walk and the enthusiasm you gave to the children who simply had the best day out possible. Thank you so much for arranging it all and hope that we can bring another group one day and have to say that personally it was the best trip I have taken a group on, ...”
Jane Darkin – Yeoford Primary School
To make a booking or enquiry contact:
Bridget Houseago, Operations Manager
Tel: 01297 443370
Or download, complete and return the Group Enquiry Form: