Looking for an inspirational school trip?
We can offer
- Fossil Hunting Walks
- Mary Anning & the Jurassic Coast
- Rockpooling walks
What teachers and children say about us
“The best trip I have taken a group on” – teacher, Yeoford Primary School
“That was awesome!” – student, Exeter College
The sessions and how to book
Fossil Hunting Walks
Join Chris Andrew (PGCE), museum Learning Officer, scientist and fossil hunter to explore the beaches around Lyme Regis where Mary Anning went fossil hunting. This session covers how fossils form and the geology of the Jurassic Coast, as well as Mary’s life and the amazing creatures she discovered. Pupils will also find fossils on the beach to take back to school.
Fossil walks are tide dependent, so start times vary. See the planned dates and times for walks to help plan your visit.
Duration 2 ½ hrs
Numbers 70 children. Large groups require extra guides and may be split into two groups on the beach.
Cost £4.25 per pupil (min £75 for groups less than 18) Staff & Supervising Adults FREE
“That was awesome! Cool! I loved the bit on the beach as I knew more than when I went before.Can we do it again?!” Exeter College students 2017.
“Please can we offer a very big thank you to Chris Andrew for his wonderful illustrated talk and fossil beach tour on Thursday. We all thoroughly enjoyed the day and we all learnt a lot. Inspiring!” Staff Exeter College 2017.
Mary Anning, Fossils & the Jurassic Coast
In this museum based session pupils will learn about the remarkable life and discoveries of Mary Anning and the amazing geology of the Jurassic Coast. Find out about Ammonites, Ichthyosaurs, Plesiosaurs, how these creatures evolved and interacted, how fossils form, and why we find so many in the rocks and clay around Lyme Regis.
Led by Chris Andrew (PGCE), museum Learning Officer, scientist and fossil hunter the session includes a talk with fossil handling in our education room, a guided tour of our Geology Gallery and a visit to see the stained glass window dedicated to Mary Anning in St Michael’s church where Mary is buried.
In this session pupils will
Duration: 2 hrs
Numbers: 32 children maximum
Cost: £4.25 per pupil (Staff and Supervising Adults FREE)
Your class will learn more about marine life and the amazing creatures that live in the rock pools of Broad Ledge. Lyme Regis is a special place for rockpooling and our experienced guide will meet your class at the museum and take you out on to the beach at low tide to explore the rock pools. Pupils will take part in a range of activities including; identifying and naming animals and plants, as well as gathering, recording and classifying data.
Please note, rockpooling activities are dependent on low tides, so days and start times vary.
Duration 2 ½ hrs
Numbers 32 Maximum
Cost £4.25 per pupil (Staff and Supervising Adults FREE).
“I really wanted to thank you for your wonderful talk and walk and the enthusiasm you gave to the children who simply had the best day out possible. Thank you so much for arranging it all and hope that we can bring another group one day and have to say that personally it was the best trip I have taken a group on, ...”
Jane Darkin – Yeoford Primary School
Why choose us?
- Great value £4.25 per child and all accompanying Staff and supervising adults FREE
- Well-organised and enriching learning experience, tailored to your needs & interest
- Fossil walks on the beaches where Mary Anning hunted for fossils
- Sessions led by Chris Andrew (PGCE), museum Learning Officer, scientist and fossil hunter and a team of inspirational guides – the Mary Anning experts!
- A secure, purpose-built classroom with space for lunch and stunning view of Lyme Bay
- New accessible facilities, toilets, lift to the first floor and gift shop
- Safe, secure coach parking with toilet facilities at both Holmbush and Charmouth Rd car parks, a short walk to the museum and beaches
- Reassurance – 2,000+ children visit each year and teachers give us great feedback
- Help with co-ordinating and planning your visit
To make a booking or find out more please contact:
Bridget Houseago, Operations Manager
Tel: 01297 443370
Or download, complete and return the Group Enquiry Form: